[Sca-cooks] Re: Small beer, was period beverages

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Oct 1 15:43:43 PDT 2003

> Is it the sweetness of the Sekanjabin you don't like or the
> mint? If it is the mint, Sekanjabin is just one of a family
> of similar drinks. There are others that use a variety of
> other herbs, roots, bark and stuff other than mint. Master
> Cariadoc has quoted a number of these on this list and they
> can be found in the jalabs-msg file in the Florilegium. My
> biggest problem in trying to make some of these was in
> figuring out what some of the ingredients were and if I could
> figure that out, where to get them today.

Its the MINT! YUCK. I don't even like toothpaste and until very recently
used a myriad of other things to brush my teeth with. Thank goodness for
other flavoured toothpaste being readily available for the last 10
years.

I actually have made it a personal challenge to try to offer 2 very
different beverages with any feast/lunch/or food group I do. And while I
certainly serve Sekanjabin occasionally, if there's any syrup left it
always gets given away cause it ain't coming back to my house!

> Perhaps I should re-post some of these here and we can figure
> out what some of these are and perhaps redact them.

I think this is a great idea.

Micaylah