[Sca-cooks] Looking for a bread recipe.

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 3 09:57:28 PDT 2003

As promised--
Mason. Laura and Catherine Brown. Traditional Foods of Britain. An
Inventory. Totnes, Devon, U.K: Prospect Books, 1999. indicated that
these are associated with lardy cakes. Another type that goes back to
the 19th century is the harvest baker's cake which was eaten at a tea.
David, Elisabeth. English Bread and Yeast Cookery. 1977. New York:
Viking, 1980. contains material on lardy and harvest cakes with recipes.
I know that they are covered in several British regional and traditional
cookbooks, like the Mabey's and Maggie Black, but I don't have access to
those at the moment.

Jaine, Tom. Baking Bread at Home. Traditional Recipes from Around the
World. New York: Rizzoli, 1995 has a picture and contains instructions
on making a loaf in the shape of a sheaf of wheat.
Bernard Dupaigne in The History of Bread, 1999, also has pictures of
under a section entitled "The Harvest Bouquets." pp. 74-75.
The World Guide to Bread by Christine Ingram also has a paragraph and
picture of an English harvest loaf.

I'll try and come up with some more photo's from the web later on and
more on the folklore associated with the "harvest loaf."

Hope this helps--

Johnnae llyn Lewis