[Sca-cooks] Looking for a bread recipe.

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Oct 3 12:43:31 PDT 2003

  web.onetel.net.uk/~glb1/ stcross/harvest.gif
or http://web.onetel.net.uk/~glb1/stcross/seasons.htm

As to folklore--
According to  A Dictionary of English Folklore by OUP, the modern
harvest festivals are a Victorian invention. They are thought by some to
be a replacement for the earlier harvest suppers where celebrants drank,
dances, ate, and partied to excess. There's a note there that the idea
of the "corn spirit" has been discredited and that work needs to be done
on the topic of harvest suppers, the last sheaf, etc.

Harvest Suppers were also known as Harvest Home, Mell Suppers, Horkey
Suppers, Kern Suppers, etc. The farmer in this case provided a feast for
the workers. There's a write-up in Christina Hole's A Dictionary of
British Folk Customs.

Thomas Tusser includes the harvest in section under the month of August
in 500 Points of Good Husbandry, 1557, 1573. He does not mention the
creation of a harvest loaf, although he lists a tithe to the parson.
He does say:
In harvest time, harvest folke, servants and all,
should make altogither good cheere in the halle:
and fill out the black boule of bleith to their song,
and let them be merie all harvest long.

Johnnae llyn Lewis

johnna holloway