Rishta- was Re: [Sca-cooks] pasta with meat

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Oct 10 00:03:46 PDT 2003

Cariadoc mentioned rishta as a favorite pasta with meat and Phlip asked:

>What rishta are you referring to? A quick search on Google got me a bunch of
>Indian and Pakistani movie and music references, and one obviously modern
>revipe, containing pasta, but also bell peppers and no meat.

He means the one from Al-Bagdadi; here is the version we have in the
Miscellany:

Rishta
  al-Baghdadi p.45/7

Cut fat meat into middling pieces and put into the saucepan, with a
covering of water. Add cinnamon-bark, a little salt, a handful of
peeled chickpeas, and half a handful of lentils. Boil until cooked:
then add more water, and bring thoroughly to the boil. Now add
spaghetti (which is made by kneading flour and water well, then
rolling out fine and cutting into thin threads four fingers long).
Put over the fire and cook until set to a smooth consistency. When it
has settled over a gentle fire for an hour, remove.

1 lb lamb
1/2 stick cinnamon
1 t salt
6 T peeled chickpeas (canned will do)
3 T lentils
4 c water
2 c flour
3/8-1/2 c water

"Boil until cooked": about 1 hour. For noodles, mix flour with about
1/2 c cold water (just enough to make an unsticky dough). Knead
thoroughly, roll out, cut into thin strips. Add to pot, simmer 1/2
hour being careful not to let it stick to the bottom and scorch,
serve.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook