[Sca-cooks] Re: ricotta as "fresh cheese"?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Fri Oct 10 05:06:10 PDT 2003

I'd say your cheesemaker is correct.  Ricotta is a condensed whey product
and definitely not fresh cheese.  That being said, there is a 16th Century
painting of formed ricotta being eaten by a group of people from a plate
using spoons.

Bear

     I'm curious to get responses from this group --
how appropriate is ricotta as a "fresh cheese"
substitute in redactions, in your opinion?  Thought
I might hear from some more cheese-knowledgeable
folks than myself.  After all, blessed are the
cheesemakers.  ;)  :)

              -- Ruth