[Sca-cooks] Bread recipe request (OOP)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Oct 12 05:33:00 PDT 2003

Considering that the Christians were willing to co-opt rituals from anyone,
in my opinion, it is very likely that Celtic pagan rituals got scattered
temporally into the Christian religious calendar.  Lammas is a first-fruits
thanksgiving, but it also celebrates St. Peter's deliverance from prison.
That latter point makes me think the feast may have been in the Christian
calendar before mugging a Celtic god for its harevest rites.  It might also
be instructive to take a scholarly look at the worship of Ceres and Demeter.

To my eye, the Wiccan calendar is a lunar cycle overlaid on a solar year,
which suggests that the dates (not necessarily the connection) are a
neopagan convention derived from the Christian calendar.

Bear