[Sca-cooks] Re: ricotta as "fresh cheese"?

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 12 08:41:38 PDT 2003

I'm now confused by ricotta. I have (modern) recipes that claim to be
for it, that have you start with milk...  not unlike paneer. (I guess
they assume you don't have whey?) And the stuff in the stores is divided
by Whole and Skim Milk Ricotta. I've never actually tried making it,
though it was on my list of To-Dos... but it sounds as if I need to find
a different recipe?

The other thing that confuses me is the use of cream cheese. Do we have
evidence (we well may, I don't know) of cream cheese, as opposed to
Neufchatel or the like, being made or used in period? Skimming cream to
use for cheese, rather than using all the milk?

OK, so I'm easily confused... *G*  Am I just missing  obvious things,
that everyone else knows, or?

AEllin

Ruth Frey wrote

<Major snip>