[Sca-cooks] Question on Cubebs

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Oct 17 11:52:58 PDT 2003

At 11:41 AM 10/17/03 -0400, you wrote:
>> Hmm! I wouldn't consider juniper berries a match in flavor at all, in
>> spite of them being vaguely the same shape (round) and same color
>> (black) ;).
>
>Oh no, definitely not a match in flavor. I just mentioned them because
>I've seen references to them being used _in period_ in dishes in place of
>cubebs.

Cubebs do have a distinctive aromatic whiff to them- resinous, I think is
the word. Reminds me of bergamot. I would be tempted to try pepper and a
teensy of fresh rosemary, andybe a teensy of ginger. If you have bergamot
that would work (though I won't be eating any). Or oyu could get some
cubebs...

'Lainie
headache # 1263