[Sca-cooks] OT: milled pinks

Barbara Benson vox8 at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 19 10:01:31 PDT 2003

Greetings,

The flower dianthus, in period known as a "Pink" has leaves that are clove
scented and flavored. They were used in period as a cheap clove substitute.
I don't know anything about Animal Horn, but the Pink (or Gillyflower) would
give you the clove scent and flavor.
As with Phlip, I have no clue about this tidbit of information in relation
to your question, but I think it might be relavent.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva

> > Does anyone know what milled pinks are?
> >
> > I have a German cookie recipe which calls for "a little milled pinks"
> which I
> > want to try.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Marina
>

> Saint Phlip,> Margali said that last year, we were discussing leavening
agents, of the
> more exotic variety, ground pinks refers to ground animal horn, and that
in
> the modern version of the recipe, Germans use ground cloves to get the
same
> sharpness of flavor in the dough. This is from her German friend,
Christian-