[Sca-cooks] Goat Cheese

Lorenz Wieland lorenz_wieland at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 27 14:51:12 PST 2003

Phil Anderson wrote:
> When people are referring to "goat cheese", what do they actually
> mean?
>
> Yes, I realise it's made from goats' milk. But no one would ever
> refer to "cow cheese" or "sheep cheese" as if it were a single
> identiffiable type, and I'd like to know what _sort_ of cheese is
> meant by the generic "goat cheese".
>
> Locally, there are fresh, feta-style, white-mould (mmmm, Mt Hector)
> and hard cheeses made from goats' milk -- a wide variety of textures
> and tastes.

In my experience, the generic use of "goat cheese" in the U.S. usually
implies the Montrachet or Sainte Maure style of French goat cheese
("chevre" -- the French seem to be just as descriptive as we are).  The most
widely available one here in mainland Caid is Silver Goat from a Canadian
cheesemaker who brought the style over from France.  Other goat cheeses like
Feta, Queso Fresco, Cotija, etc. are almost always specified by name.

-Lorenz