[Sca-cooks] Mongol Feast Questions

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 11:18:12 PDT 2003

My Greek and Roman feast is this Saturday. I don't know when i'll be
doing another feast. On my wish list of feasts i'd like to do are (1)
a Byzantine feast - for which I need to get the recently published
"Byzantine Cuisine" by SCAdian Henry Marks, and i eagerly await
Andrew Dalby's book on Byzantine food coming out next year - and (2)
a Mongol feast.

Having read Buell and Anderson's "A Soup for the Qan", and having
gotten a copy of the Cloud Forest Hall Collection of Rules for
Drinking and Eating by Ni Tsan that was published in the PPC (but i
don't yet have the follow up article with corrections and additional
info), i see a genuine lack of vegetable dishes. In both sources
there are vegetables, but pretty much always cooked with meat. Since
i find about 10 per cent of diners here are vegetarians, i'd like to
be able to offer some purely vegetable dishes.

Has anyone on the list done a Mongol feast from period recipes? Kiri
did a Mongol course in a multi-Asian feast that used vegetable
recipes from al-Baghdadi (and she shared her recipes with me), but
i'm hoping to find other information or sources that are closer to
Central Asia than the Big Bag Daddy... I am considering including
"Ain I Akbari", the 16th c. Mughal cookbook some of which recipes are
on Duke Cariadoc's website.

Anahita