[Sca-cooks] Fwd: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 4, Issue 18

Marcus Loidolt mjloidolt at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 16:23:25 PDT 2003

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 23:36:42 -0500
> From: Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Saving traditional livestock
> and plant stocks

>   Abot Johann von Metten commented:
> > Well, Personaly I don't like GM foods, not because
> I nessecarily see them as 'unsafe' but I am much
<snippage>if we fail to maintain a base population of
'normal' genetic stock, we place ourselves in danger
of destroying the essence of the original forms.

> This is definitely correct. We are already losing a
> lot of the
> varieties of potatoes that were once grown in South
> America. The same
> it is true of various livestock, fruits and other
> plants.
>
> However The genetic material is likely never to be
available in a sufficently  pure form to do it, but if
someone were able to re-create an exact copy with no
genetic manipulations/variations of a medieval apple
or orange, would you be willing to eat it? Assume
multiple copies can be made and the one you were given
were not the only one in existance.
> Stefan

Actually, yeah, I probably would, assuming it was also
Grown as a medieval apple, in those organic situations
without spray or modern pesticide usage. If fact I'd
be thrilled to! Though I would still be concerned over
how well humans could manage such things.
Still IF humans could re-create such a produce without
ANY difference from it original that would be fine
with me!

Abot Johann

Still how much better would it be if we could simply
keep the bloodlines living without resorting to gene
storage in the lab??
Just the romantic I suppose.....

=====
www.geocities.com/mjloidolt/marcus_page.html
"Let Charity be your hallmark and model for all you do,
if it is not loving, don't do it, it it is loving,
let nothing stop you from doing whatever is needed!"
(St. John Neumann)
"Have no fear or doubt anything and everything you give in this life will be paid back ahundred fold in the next"