[Sca-cooks] Beverages

DeeWolff at aol.com DeeWolff at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 06:42:11 PDT 2003

One of the things I have been working on is what my persona would eat and
drink. At demos, I   bring foods appropriate to my persona. This way, I can stay
in focus and provide a mini lesson sepreate from what I am teaching (I demo
cooking period recipes over a campfire-Thanks to a wonderous Goose Bay kettle).

Now, I am a late period Scot/French woman married to a late period Dutchman.
We eat the appropriate foods- Breakfast is Fish (herring), brown bread
rusks, and good cheese. We follow up with a good stout beer (small amounts). Lunch
is leftover breakfast food and the addition of a starch and often apples or
grapes.
Dinner is a meat (the Dutch like pork and fish), and starchy product (barley)
and vegetables or fruits.

While, it takes some getting used to and the modern tastebuds rebel at fish
in the morning, it IS what they ate and it is appropriate to us so that we can
maintain our "medieval flair". Proper beverages for us are fruit juice (apple
and pear being predominant),small beer,honey water, beer, wine, mead, milk,
and some jenever (Dutch Gin).

Are you looking to create a medieval atmosphere or just be periodoid??   Are
you looking for something yourselves or for the whole populace? If for
yourself, I urge taste testing for appropriate choices. For the populace, safe means
apple and pear by products. I also recommend the honey water.

Do I eat like this everyday? No. But do I eat like this at events and demos?
Yes- I am recreating my medieval person- if I don't eat like them, it takes
away from the mystique...

Andrea MacIntyre

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be
a merrier world.
<A HREF="http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/J._R._R._Tolkien/">J. R. R. Tolkien</A> (1892 - 1973)