[Sca-cooks] Beverages

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 28 10:52:36 PDT 2003

Thanks, everyone. (Combining messages...)

Buttermilk as in the real stuff, of course, the byproduct of
buttermaking, not the weird cultured stuff found in stores under the
name... You don't get much if you start from cream, which is what Mom,
the dairyman's granddaughter, taught me... but I have seen directions
for starting with milk or top milk. I can get unhomogenized milk at
Greenmarket... but it's still pasteurized, so I can't let it set to
start to turn. I have to start with fresh, which is said to be harder.
(No, this is not from a period source.)

Well, I've been looking at learning about cheesemaking - I can see it
now. "I need to start a new batch of cheese so I have whey to drink at
my next event!"   LOL! (Whey is green... this may take me a while...
Markham tells me I should virtuously give it to the poor...*G*) I'm
going to have to start playing. My house is cold enough in winter to be
a "cellar," :-\  so I'm coming into the right time of year.

I don't know how far I'll take this. I'll never be completely authentic
in my kit, for a variety of reasons (many having to do with
transportation - if I'm traveling on the train, or getting rides from
friends, I'm doing it with a dome tent - space and weight are important
considerations.) And I'm just beginning anyway. I may never follow up on
any of this. But if I don't ask the questions, I limit myself.  One of
my interests in doing a less-done place/period is showing alternate
behaviors - we aren't all in the French and English courts *G* -  though
finding what they are can be tricky. I already know I'm going to learn a
lot about dairy (both cow and goat, I think) and fish...

And we still come back to the feast/dayboard problem... which may never
be resolved completely. So we all work out our own compromises...

AEllin