[Sca-cooks] Beverages

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Sep 28 11:05:39 PDT 2003

>I don't know how far I'll take this. I'll never be completely
>authentic in my kit, for a variety of reasons (many having to do
>with transportation - if I'm traveling on the train, or getting
>rides from friends, I'm doing it with a dome tent - space and weight
>are important considerations.)

Space and weight were important considerations in period, too--I
expect a pack mule carries a lot less weight than an automobile.
Wouldn't it be an interesting project to figure out a period tent
design that was comparable in weight to your dome tent? It wouldn't
be a pavillion with a diameter of twenty feet--but it might be a
small gjeteld.

Obviously we can't all do everything--but most of the time "I haven't
gotten around to figuring out how to do that in a period way" is a
better reason than "of course there isn't  a period way of doing it."
I do, for example, have a period rope bed design that's comparable in
weight and bulk to a modern folding cot.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/