[Sca-cooks] Authentic travel, was Beverages

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 28 16:15:50 PDT 2003

I basically agree with the approach - but I don't have a pack mule. I
must be able to personally carry all my gear, or at least pull it on a
luggage cart... up and down stairs, moreover...  Remember, I'm in
Manhattan. I go to local events by taking the subway to MetroNorth (and
have done so twice in the last month.)  Even when I have a ride, which I
usually need if I am going farther, that sometimes involves taking a
subway to meet the driver. Sometimes I can combine with a fellow
traveler - she brings the tent, I bring the chair, I bring the stove,
she brings the pans... but I can't count on that. Sometimes the site has
cabins, but I can't count on that, either. Actually, I have yet to need
to bring everything, I've always combined with someone for something,
and I already have as much as I can carry - I'm not really sure how I
would strip it down further. Though I was remembering Adamantius talking
long ago about little butane stoves - I'm going to look for one of them.
I definitely can't carry fuel for a "real" fire... and I can't usually
get it there...

In period, I would have traveled with a pack mule and a manservant, or
else as part of a train. And I would have expected to stay in inns and
the like, as a relatively unassuming woman like myself wouldn't be
likely to have a whole camp... but I'm too middle class (not to mention
middle-aged)  to sleep in hedgerows.

My dress weighs about as much as my dome tent... this is one of those
tiny one-person deals I can't stand up in. If I had room for a cot, I'd
do the rope bed... but I just have an air mattress. Now, for Pennsic, I
might try making a ticking for a straw bed, I've heard good things about
that, but it's impractical for a weekend where I can't get straw. (See
above reference to being too middle-aged to sleep without something...)

Oiled silk? Parachute silk? Fiber artist, rather than researcher,
kicking in, here... only fabric I can think of that's light enough...
did anyone make pavilions of that? What would support it? I did get to
stay in (someone else's) canvas pavilion the one time I did go to
Pennsic, and it is much more comfortable than nylon, as well as more
medieval, but... there's some limit to how much space I can take in
someone else's car.

Now, the positive side of this (which brings it back to cooking) is that
I'm going to seriously look into the "camping without a cooler" side of
things - as I also can't carry a cooler! Dried or salt meat and
vegetables (and cod... *G*) are lighter than fresh. Norway is now famous
for its flatbreads - I'll have to see when that began. Surely someone in
a major port city would know about them... they were used on shipboard.
I'm watching the answers to your questions about easy to prepare things
with interest... I can do bread and cheese and sausage for a weekend
without feeling limited.

So... I do what I can. We all have to decide, sometimes for each event,
if it is more important to us to re-create the way the persona would
have traveled, or the way she would have lived at home... bringing fresh
things out of a cellar (mka "cooler").  What compromises are we willing
to make, which do we feel we have to, which do we refuse to, at all
costs? Interesting questions.

AEllin