[Sca-cooks] baking soda vs. baking powder

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 4 03:59:36 PDT 2003

Why were they inedible?  Did they taste bad or were they hard as a rock?

If the fat/sugar ratio is off or the aeration doesn't take, the odds are you
get a well baked rock.

If the taste is off, then the odds are you used to much leavening.  Both
baking soda and baking powder are alkalis and if you use to much you get a
bitter after taste, which is what you want with a proper Irish soda bread,
but don't want with snickerdoodles

Bear