[Sca-cooks] baking soda vs. baking powder (and other kitchen disasters)

Carol Eskesen Smith BrekkeFranksdottir at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 17:17:29 PDT 2003

Way back when, when my kid brother switched baking powder for baking soda in chocolate chip cookies, we had similar results; the cookies came out very salty. According to the King Arthur Flour Company 200th Anniversary Cookbook, Baking SODA acts only in the presence of acidic compounds.  Baking POWDER is acidic in itself, and will act even in the absence of other acid ingredients.  With acid ingredients, it probably neutralizes any bases present, forming more salts than one would otherwise expect.
PS if you hard-boil eggs to dryness, they'll explode.  I did it - several times in the same day, back when I was in college.

Regards,
Brekke