[Sca-cooks] Mongol Feast Questions

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 4 18:14:30 PDT 2003

Katira wrote:
>I have my ticket for this weekend's feast and I can
>hardly wait!!

And not a minute too soon. I hear it's sold out. I'm in shock. My
feast sold out before the event! This doesn't happen often around
here.

>About doing veggie dishes, could you just prepare a
>version of the regular recipe without the meat?  Might
>require some tweeking, but should work.  I know I
>often sub/omit ingred when cooking and as long as the
>chemistry doesn't change....

Thanks for the suggestion.

I actually experimented with several Mongol recipes while i was
visiting my vegetarian daughter in Philadelphia in March. Given the
high preponderance of meat in any single recipe, removing said meat
is more than just a little tweaking, it's creating a whole new
recipe. I even tried TVP instead of ground meat, but the texture and
flavor just weren't right. I may experiment more with mashed tofu.

As far as i can tell, by looking at dates on some articles about soy
foods mentioned in William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi's many soy
history and cookbooks, tofu is period, although probably not eaten by
Mongols heading toward Persia :-)

Once this feast is over - and i do my A&S project for 12th Night -
i'll get back to researching. I may have to turn it into a
"Central-South-and-Westnern Asian" feast, with recipes from other
neighboring regions (India and Persia)...

Anahita
back to pre-cooking feasty stuff...