[Sca-cooks] Mongol Feast Questions

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Thu Sep 4 19:13:24 PDT 2003

At 06:14 PM 9/4/2003,lilinah at earthlink.net said something like:
>Katira wrote:
>>I have my ticket for this weekend's feast and I can
>>hardly wait!!
>
>And not a minute too soon. I hear it's sold out. I'm in shock. My feast
>sold out before the event! This doesn't happen often around here.
>
>>About doing veggie dishes, could you just prepare a
>>version of the regular recipe without the meat?  Might
>>require some tweeking, but should work.  I know I
>>often sub/omit ingred when cooking and as long as the
>>chemistry doesn't change....
>
>Thanks for the suggestion.
>
>I actually experimented with several Mongol recipes while i was visiting
>my vegetarian daughter in Philadelphia in March. Given the high
>preponderance of meat in any single recipe, removing said meat is more
>than just a little tweaking, it's creating a whole new recipe. I even
>tried TVP instead of ground meat, but the texture and flavor just weren't
>right. I may experiment more with mashed tofu.
>
>As far as i can tell, by looking at dates on some articles about soy foods
>mentioned in William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi's many soy history and
>cookbooks, tofu is period, although probably not eaten by Mongols heading
>toward Persia :-)
>
>Once this feast is over - and i do my A&S project for 12th Night - i'll
>get back to researching. I may have to turn it into a
>"Central-South-and-Westnern Asian" feast, with recipes from other
>neighboring regions (India and Persia)...
>
>Anahita
>back to pre-cooking feasty stuff...

I'm working on a plan for Coronation Feast for Caid in November, and we're
toying with a loosely Mongol based theme. Part of our planning involves the
Soup for the Qan, and yes, vegetable recipes in there are VERY sparse.

While reading though, I did find references to just plain vegetable matter.
I think the one we're going to incorporate in the Soup for the Qan course
is going to be the one for spinach, fried with garlic.  Do you need the
page reference? (I found it by simply going through the index and finding
all references for spinach in there).

Good luck, and please let us know how it all turns out!!

Maggie MacD.