[Sca-cooks] Cookies was hello there

Barbara G. Dodge awench1 at cox.net
Sat Sep 6 13:37:12 PDT 2003

Magdalena wrote:

> I'd love those recipes!  The Kleiner sounds like the cookies that my
> Polish grandmother made, that I can pronounce but not even close to
> spell.  Kruchtiky?  Something like that.  Also called Angel Wings.  They
> were flavored with cardamom and lemon peel, cut in diamonds with a slit
> in the middle, and one corner of the diamond was pulled through the slit
> to make a three-dimensional cookies.  Then they were fried.  Mmm mmm good.
>
> -Magdalena

I know of what you speak!  My Babcie (Grandmother in Polish), taught my
mother, who then taught me and my siblings to make them.  The spelling I
have is Chrusziki.

Here are the basics to the recipe, after many years of use, the card has
faded and I do a lot by feel and instinct.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
5 eggs
2 teaspoons brandy extract (you can vary flavorings as you choose)
Vegetable or canola oil for frying
Powdered sugar for sprinkling on finished cookies

In large bowl, sift flour, sugar and salt together.
Cut in butter.

In separate bowl, wisk eggs and extract until light and frothy.

Pour egg mixture into the flour mixture and bring together using a wooden
spoon.  (I don't know why, but the wooden spoon seemed like an important
part of the recipe!)  This mixture will be somewhat sticky.  If it seems too
gooey, you can add more flour, a small amount at a time.

Wrap the dough in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
During this time, the dough will not only have a chance to "rest" before
rolling out, but much of the moisture will continue to be absorbed be the
flour and dough will become less sticky.  At this stage, you could also wrap
the dough and freeze it.  It freezes very well, even for long term usage.
Just remember, if you freeze the dough, defrost it in the fridge.  Do not
let it come to room temp, or it could be difficult to work with.

In a wide, somewhat deep pot, skillet, or electric fryer, place 4 inches of
oil.  Heat to 375 degrees.

While oil is heating, divide chilled dough into 3 or 4 equal pieces.  (You
do not want to roll out too much at a time, the dough could dry out easily.)
Keep extra dough covered with plastic or a damp cloth.  Roll out dough a
little thinner than you might a pie crust dough.

Cut into 1 inch strips, then divide strips into 3 or 4 inch lengths.
Cutting the lengths on a diagonal makes a pretty pointed end to the cookie.
Cut a small (1 inch) slit in the center of each strip, slip one end of the
cookie into the slit and gently pull through.  This should cause the dough
to twist in on itself creating what looks like a bowtie with pointed ends.

Drop twisted dough into hot oil until LIGHT golden brown. This takes only a
matter of seconds, and you may need to turn the cookies over to brown the
other side. They will get dark very quickly, and it is better to bring them
out of the oil a little light rather than burned.

In my house, we always used cut up brown grocery bags to drain the oil off
the cookies, but you may use the product of your choice to absorb the oil.

Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar, and eat!

Store in an air tight tin or jar.  These are delicate pastry type cookies
and will break easily.