[Sca-cooks] OT: Kitchen appliances and gadgets

Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com Jeff.Gedney at Dictaphone.com
Thu Sep 11 06:46:51 PDT 2003

> Also, don't forget a VERY good knife set!  Mine are Chicago Cutlery.  I
keep
> a shallow point and they are WONDERFUL. When I bring them to feasts I
MUST
> keep tract of them in the kitchen!!!

IMHO, never ask your relatives to buy you a "Knife set". in my own
experience, they NEVER buy the ones ones you wind up using for the rest of
your life.
Usually they buy some 400dollar gift set that us usually serrated or
something, like the "Henkels" (not made by henkels, just imported by them)
set they sell at KMart or some such place, Bleah.
you always wind up buying your own...
You have to _hold_ a knife to know if it is right for you!

If you are able, go checkout the Wusthof "classic" line (
http://www.wuesthof.de/en/default2.htm ) at a good cooking store... they
are the best knives I have ever had, (I have a couple of parers) although
my favorite general use knife is a slightly cheaper "Belgique" 8 inch
chef's knife I got from JCPenny, a number of years ago... Very well made. I
dont think they sell those any more, at least not made like that.
perhaps you could set up a bridal registry at a good gourmet store, and put
the knives n the registry (individually, of course, they are NOT cheap)

brandu