[Sca-cooks] turkey roasters

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Sep 12 11:15:31 PDT 2003

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, johnna holloway wrote:

> I just did some price comparisons online and the price is in line with
> other 18 quart models with buffet inserts and non-stick linings from the
> cooking equipment stores. I know that this company sells with a
> guarantee which means that one can return things that don't perform or
> work out which is something that I look for these days.
> (I can't think of a local store that offers these large scale roasters
> around here, even around the holidays. Propane outdoor fryers seem to be
> the range and fancy convection ovens. Also eating out at the local
> buffet saves people the bother. This may vary of course depending on the
> area of the country one lives in.)
>
> Walmart.com is offering a different model a GE without inserts that is
> labeled as easy to clean (it's not non-stick) for $29.00. They don't
> quote a shipping price w/o going through the ordering process.
> That might do very well for buying for group use. That price puts it
> into the price range a slow cooker. I don't know what a Walmart store
> would sell the same model for. The closest is perhaps 30 miles from
> where I live and I've not been there for years.
>
> How often are they used? 3-4 times a year at most.
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis

The GE models that I bought at Wally's for the barony were $29.95, they
were remarkably like the Nesco models that the barony already owned. They
came with racks, and I *think* they may have come with buffet inserts but
not actually said anything about it on the packaging.

Alternately, mine could be GE and the baronial ones Hamilton Beach. It all
blurs.... I'll check on mine when I get home to see what brand it is. It
has the insert, but again, I don't recall seeing anything about said
insert on the box.

I've used mine for cheese, for the roasting of meaty things for the
feast, for making soup, for warming up things in pie crusts, for making
barley, and for making saurbraten. It's a wonderful thing, even if I only
use it once every so often.

Margaret