[Sca-cooks] Redaction? (was: Looking for a period cheesefilled pasta/lassagna dish served cold (long))

Randy Goldberg MD goldbergr1 at cox.net
Sat Sep 20 15:50:57 PDT 2003

> until I have become established as a
> member of the in-group. As I responded to Doc on 8 Sept.:
>
> >Since I do not accept the in-group jargon, you seem to define the
> >"community" exclusively of me.

Part of what defines a community is its language. If you choose to reject
the definition of the word as commonly accepted in this community (by which
I mean the world of SCA cooks as a whole, not necessarily this particular
list), then you are deliberately setting yourself outside the community. No
one here has defined the community to be exclusive of you; you have defined
YOURSELF to be outside the community.

Language grows and changes. The dictionary definition of "redaction" may not
apply perfectly to what we do in converting period recipes to modern
structure, but it is the word chosen to describe the activity by this
community. That, in and of itself, makes it a valid definition, albeit not
one recognized by Merriam-Webster.

Avraham

Reb Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
RandomTag: You're not normal; you're just straight.

---