[Sca-cooks] Redacting another Jewish dish (fwd)

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Sep 23 15:13:52 PDT 2003

I would be interested to know what the exact context was, which might
indicate whether this is supposed to be the preferred preparation method,
how knowledgeable the writer was about cookery, and also how interested the
writer was in the clarity of the description.

In the original, the article is used the second time that the veggies go
into oil, but not the first. I don't know Spanish so I can't tell, but I
wonder if this indicates that the oil used the second time was the exact
same oil, or perhaps that it was the same type of oil.

Literally, ahogadas could mean drowned. This might mean that the oil used
this time is rather deep, at least relative to the amount that goes into it
together at one time. The different word choices (ahogadas-drowned and
rehervir-boiled, with agitation by heat indicated) might mean that the
second time the oil is hotter. One thing that this suggests to me is a
possibility that the first time the oil was used to coat and thus to
separate (both to separate solid pieces from each other and to separate
them from the residual water), not to cook. This seems like a way to
control the splattering of the hot oil.

Based the information that I have so far, I would interpret this
recipe/description as having four described phases, as follows: parboil
separately from onions, dunk in oil, fry in oil (possibly the same oil),
cook with remaining ingredients until thick. If the same oil is used for
steps 2 and 3, I expect that it should be decanted from the water (and
perhaps some solid residues). I might prefer to decant only some of the
oil, thus using less for step 3, where the oil will remain in the finished
dish, or else to do step 2 in several batches.

Another possibility, since this seems to describe a specific act of
cooking, is that the water, spices, and thickeners turned out to be
unready, and the veggies had to be taken out of the hot oil to prevent
overcooking. But this would not explain the difference in the words that
describe the first and second times in the oil.

Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark