[Sca-cooks] crockpot oatmeal

Randy Goldberg MD goldbergr1 at cox.net
Tue Sep 23 18:32:12 PDT 2003

>     Has anyone cooked oatmeal in a crockpot overnight?  We just tried a
> small batch of the Mc Canns' in the rice cooker  - didn't do as well as we
> hoped.  :(   A bit crunchy still & boiled out the lid.  But I think using
> small 1 qt crockpot & turning it on low at bedtime would work well.  The
> guinea pig thinks it would be all dried out & icky.
> Comments? suggestions?

Alton Brown's recipe for Overnight Oatmeal:

1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried figs, chopped
4 cups water
1/2 cup half-and-half

In a crock-pot, combine all ingredients and set to low heat. Cover and let
cook for 8 to 9 hours.

Stir and remove to serving bowls. This method works best if started before
you go to bed. This way your oatmeal will be finished by morning.

You could use almost any dried fruit: blueberries, cherries, apricots, you
name it.

---