part 2 Re: [Sca-cooks] OT: Quick question about canning

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Sep 25 14:59:31 PDT 2003

> I was wondering if I actually need to go out and buy a canner, or if I can just use one of the pots I already have? I know that the rack would make it easier to remove the jars, but I also dont have much disposable cash at the moment, and if I can just use what I have that would be great.

The other thing you want to get is a jar lifter, even if you don't have a
rack. The jar lifter looks like funny tongs and is designed to let you
lift the jars out of the water by their necks. There is NO other good way
to get the jars out of the bath (plenty of bad, painful ways, though, and
I know 'em all.)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
 "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
(In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)