[Sca-cooks] The Cloisters in NYC - was, Attention Adamantius and anyone else....

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Fri Sep 26 03:12:21 PDT 2003

Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:

>The Cloisters is a part of the Metropolitan
>Museum of Art, and is exclusively devoted to art
>and architecture of the Middle Ages and
>Renaissance.
>John D. Rockefeller literally bought several
>medieval French cloisters, transported them to
>New York, had them assembled into one building
>and then donated it all to the Met along with a
>large portion of his medieval art collection.

Hmm. It seems for years I was misinformed. I had the idea it was
William Randolph Hearst, who did much of the same thing, including
moving a group of buildings from Europe to California which are
commonly known as The Cloisters today, so it seems like an easy
source of confusion.

Although from what I'm reading, the original stone-by-stone
importation seems to have been begun by George Barnard, who sold it
to Rockefeller, who, in turn, moved it, expanded it, and donated it
to the City of New York.

I have to agree with various people's urgings that Nichola check out
the Cloisters, but I also wasn't sure about time restraints, and had
remembered she was trying to stay downtown. You pretty much have to
set aside an entire day for the Cloisters (although a "double major"
visit to the Cloisters and the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the same
ticket -- The Met is an unrelated opera house; it's almost as bad as
calling Sixth Avenue the Avenue of the Americas just because of those
silly signs along its length when everyone knows they're dumb).

Adamantius