[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Mon Sep 29 10:38:45 PDT 2003

johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> [2003.09.29] wrote:
> When I wrote last week on 9/26/2003 in response to Stefan's query/lament
> regarding authentic beverages, I said that given "all the restrictions
> on what may be paid for in terms of SCA monies" the days of serving
> alcohol were over.
>
> The conversation turned to the creation of near-alcohols, but that left
> me wondering if in fact even "small beer" or low-alcohol beverages can
> be served as part of the feasts and paid for with feast fees.

In Sweden you can -- in every grocery store -- purchase several versions
of thickened milk products (filmjölk, etc), similair to kefir or a low
fat -- 2-3% -- thin yoghurt. They reportedly contain 0.5-1% ethanol, and
many ice creams can contain as much as 0.35-0-5% EtOH. A strict reading
of the ruling would prevent me from serving "filmjölk" with the
breakfast cereals (which might get me lynched, or at least laughed at).

And doesn't fresh baked bread contain some minute quantity of ethanol?

> Given that the 2003 Chancellor of the Exchequer Officer’s Handbook
> 2003 Edition states that: "Purchases of alcoholic beverages for serving
> are prohibited.

What is the legal definition of "alcoholic beverage" in your -- or the
SCAs -- jurisdiction? I think you could safely serve anything that could
be sold to minors with no restrictions.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                             ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.