[Sca-cooks] Beverages

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Sep 30 07:49:21 PDT 2003

AEllin commented:

Well, I've been looking at learning about cheesemaking - I can see it
now. "I need to start a new batch of cheese so I have whey to drink at
my next event!"   LOL! (Whey is green... this may take me a while...
Markham tells me I should virtuously give it to the poor...*G*) I'm
going to have to start playing. My house is cold enough in winter to be
a "cellar," :-\  so I'm coming into the right time of year.
<<<<
Cheesemaking is something I've been wanting to get into myself, but other than a few classes have not done yet. You might find these files in the FOOD section of the Florilegium to be of interest to you. A number of messages relate how NOT to do things, learned the hard way, so perhaps these will save you from doing the same errors.
cheese-msg       (140K)  8/20/02    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesemaking-msg  (96K)  7/ 7/03    Comments and info. on cheesemaking. Recipes.

One of
my interests in doing a less-done place/period is showing alternate
behaviors - we aren't all in the French and English courts *G* -  though
finding what they are can be tricky.
<<<<

Sometimes it seems half my barony has personas in that last half of the 16th century. I'd like to some other personas as well. While it is not comprehensive, I have tried to collect together information on a wide variety of period cultures and time periods in the CULTURES section of the Florilegium. Perhaps browsing through the files in that section might be of interest to you. Or take a look at this file in the PERSONA section by 'Lainie, which gives some ideas for little done personas:
Som-Per-Ideas-art (16K) 12/31/02    "Some Persona Ideas" by by HL Elaine de
                                       Montgris (known as 'Lainie).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/Som-Per-Ideas-art.html

And we still come back to the feast/dayboard problem... which may never
be resolved completely. So we all work out our own compromises...
<<<<
Huh? I must have missed this. What problems/conflicts are you speaking of? The general one on how authentic to be? Or something specific on feasts and dayboards?

Stefan