[Sca-cooks] Beverages

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Sep 30 08:38:41 PDT 2003

>AEllin commented:
>>>>>
>Well, I've been looking at learning about cheesemaking - I can see it
>now. "I need to start a new batch of cheese so I have whey to drink at
>my next event!"
><<<<

>Cheesemaking is something I've been wanting to get into myself, but
>other than a few classes have not done yet.

Take the time to find milk that isn't homogenized.  It sets much
better and has a better yield.
I've been told raw milk (non pasteurized) is even better, but haven't
tried it myself.

They whey tastes quite nice, although you might want to dilute it if
you set the cheese with vinegar or lemon.  I doubt it is something
that would be served at a "feast", but rather by the poor, or perhaps
for breakfast.

I've been told that vinegar and water was drunk as a beverage in
period, but not seen documentation.  Specifically I've heard that it
was drunk by harvesters, because it refreshed better than plain
water.. kind of like lemonade, but with vinegar instead of lemons.
I've tried this with wine and cider vinegar.. both sweetened with
honey, and unsweetened.  Its a nice drink for hot weather,
refreshing.... but again probably not served at feast.

Is there any documentation what was served at a meal on a fast day??
Did they still drink wine/beer?
I know there are menus for fish days.

Ranvaig.