[Sca-cooks] cookware question

Thebard thebard3 at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 8 20:21:50 PDT 2004

First off, tried looking at the Florilegium.org but couldn’t get to the
file. So I thought that someone might know more than me. Here goes,
anyone ever cooked in clay pots? I know it can be done, I even know that
you want pottery fired at low temps because it’s less susceptible to
breakage than say stoneware when on direct heat. But that’s about it.

The only problem is 90% of the redware I find in my area, that I can
afford, doesn’t pass a lead test. So do any of y’all know where I can
find something that’ll not only pass a lead test and also be kind on my
bank account? While I’d like to experiment I’m not going to put a $40
reproduction pot in the coals to see how well things cook in it.

Also, as far as the friend I knew who wanted to grind some grain, I
talked a Mexican lady I know into lending me her old quern she used to
use to make mole. And to make a long story short, the kid's now ready to
buy a used hand mill for now, was a bit more work than she was willing
to do.

Thanks Guys,
James P.