[Sca-cooks] Grain mill question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 7 05:38:50 PDT 2004

The larger the mill, the greater the economy of scale.  A saddle quern is
usually made from the easiest quarried local stone which will hold up to the
work.  For a commercial mill, the harder the stones, the longer they last
and the finer the grain of the stones, the finer the milling
(generalization).  The miller's millstones are his tools and he paid dearly
to own the best (in one case at least to importing them from the Continent).

Bear

Danish woman looked up and said "Actually, it's all full of stone