[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Apr 8 21:22:17 PDT 2004

In the East, Drachenwald, and AnTir I have sat on Laurel Councils where
members were elevated for either or both research and what we call
"science".  Problem with Science is trying to come up with a definition of
what's an art, and what's a science.  Is armoring an Art or a Science
(several armoring Laurels).  What about metal work that is chiefly
functional but also beautiful?

I can think of three Research Laurels immediately:  Mistress Arlys o'Gordon,
AnTir, Music Philosophy; Master Charles Steward O'Connor, Dance theory;
Mistress Alisoun MacCoul of Elphane, Heraldic Research and teaching.

How do you go about getting from passion to Laurel since that's what I see
research in our venue requiring?  Publish, teach, spread your findings as
far as you can.  The difference in knowledge level between now, and 20+
years ago when I received my Laurel is incredible. Most of it is thanks to
those who researched and published.  Otherwise we would still be cooking
mainly from Fabulous Feasts and altering wedding dress and McCall's 3 wise
men patterns for garb.

The avenues are out there.  They just aren't as plainly marked as "costume
geeks this way".

Regina Romsey
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Voltaire