[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel & Presentation QUESTION

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Apr 9 09:29:59 PDT 2004

> it helps if you can go to events in all corners of the Kingdom, or are in a
> very central region with a lot of other Laurels around.  (Don't complain
> that you live in the equivalent of Outer Slobovia, and don't have the
> money/time/freedom to travel.  The Circle can't help that any more than you
> can.)

I keep hearing this, and I don't understand it. If you need to travel to
become a Laurel, why don't you need to travel AFTER you become a Laurel?

In my kingdom there is one local group where people can, actually, get a
Laurel without ever travelling out of the local group; a region where
people aren't expected to travel out of the region; another region that is
far away so people understand if you don't travel much-- but if you live
elsewhere than those places, you better be seen in the other regions (and
no, Pennsic DOESN'T count) because nobody has the time and energy to
travel to YOU.

Me, I'm running a guild and so it's my duty to travel, I don't mind it.
(Much. The 6000 miles over my car lease mileage limit pinched a bit.)
Ok, I admit that I am getting closer and closer to having a major primary
goal-- to show up at an event and NOT have people say, "Oh my gosh, you
look exhausted!" But it's still fun.

What isn't fun is realizing that I have to haul other people's projects
around with me and dump them in people's laps so they can see 'em. I feel
like a cross between a labrador retriever ("Look! Look! Look what I found!
Isn't this Cool! Aren't you Amazed! Good Boy Laddie!") and that creature
carrying her possessions around on her back in Labyrinth...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"These are our children who died for our lands...
But who will return us the children?" -- Kipling