[Sca-cooks] Mistakes to Avoid when cooking salmon

Volker Bach bachv at paganet.de
Fri Apr 9 10:19:19 PDT 2004

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:31:03 +0000, "Olwen the Odd"
<olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote :

> >>I'm thinking: heat stock to simmering point, carefully lower fish into
> >>liquid, leave in for a few minutes (10 should do it, shouldn't it?),
then
> >>carefully remove.
> >>
> >>What have I overlooked?
>
> It sounded to me like you were going to leave the bones in the fish.  The
> original recipe distinctly says to boil, remove fish from bones.  It
> certainly does sound like a wonderful recipe, especially for a feast.
> Serving boneless fish would go over well.  Didn't you say you only had a
> couple of fish?  If so, maybe I'm just not reading in that you meant to
> debone the fish.
> I agree with Gunthar about dressing it up for presentation, although I
might
> suggest not drizzling with the sauce (not everyone likes vinegar or
> mustard), but instead, how about zested strings of the peel from those
> oranges and lemons?

The bones are to come out after the cooking. Would it be better to dothat
before? Accordinmg to the recipe, the fish is boiled (well, cooked in
liquid. I doubt Rumpoldt means really boiling), then flaked off the bone
and drizzled with butter and pease broth, reheated and served with sauce.

I'm planning to serve the sauces in side dishes because I made three - one
yellow mustard and vinegar, one yellow and brown mustard with vinegar, and
one honey-mustard with vinegar, which is surprisingly good but
unfortunately not documented.

Thanks

Giano