[Sca-cooks] Verjus

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 11 01:42:11 PDT 2004

  Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt commented:
> As far as when to pick grapes for verjuis, usually wineries pick and
> crush for wine in October, maybe late September, depending on the local
> climate and that particular season. I would say early August to early
> September. Mostly a guess. You might want to step out once a week to
> the
> vine and check.
Among the theories that I remember being discussed here was that
verjuice was a way to use grapes that had to be picked from the vines
early. I believe you have to thin out the grapes as they grow. This
kind of info out to be in any books on growing grapes for wine, but
I've not tried to search this out. I think this idea that the verjuice
was, at least originally, a product of grapes that had to be thinned,
holds merit because why pick them early just for verjuice if you can
leave them on the vine and get ripe grapes which can get turned into
wine?

If it is indeed the case that the grapes are from thinning the stock, I
assume that they would be picked much earlier than just before the
harvest. The longer you leave them on the vine, the longer the vine has
to work to create them and the less energy there is to put into the
remaining grapes. And it may be that that is the reason for the
thinning, to get richer, plumper, sweeter grapes for the creation of
wine.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas