[Sca-cooks] Verjus

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Sun Apr 11 14:46:26 PDT 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Among the theories that I remember being discussed here was that
> verjuice was a way to use grapes that had to be picked from the vines
> early. I believe you have to thin out the grapes as they grow. This
> kind of info out to be in any books on growing grapes for wine, but
> I've not tried to search this out. I think this idea that the verjuice
> was, at least originally, a product of grapes that had to be thinned,
> holds merit because why pick them early just for verjuice if you can
> leave them on the vine and get ripe grapes which can get turned into
> wine?

Using the culled grapes from thinning to make verjuice, essentially
making a use for an otherwise waste product, seems quite practical and
logical to me. Yes, you would want to thin the grapes before the vine
started putting that much energy and effort into all the grapes. This is
a practice that I've seen. You don't nessessarily want _plumper_ grapes,
just richer. If you have a high yield, the flavour/intensity of the
subsequent juice/wine is lowered, while if you have a low yield during
an otherwise normal climate year, it intensifies the flavours of the
resulting wine. And it really nudges up the price between higher quality
and lower supply. Chilean wines are inexpensive because of high yields
irrigated by all that snowmelt coming off the Andes. High yield, which
most are just table wine quality. The eating grapes tend to be very
large, also.

Thinning the grapes early means small grapes. That would also make for a
lot of skin to fruit ratio and possibly increase the amount of tannins
in the resulting verjuice. I also think even red grapes start off green,
and darken as they grow and ripen, making the term 'green juice' even
more appropriate.

I need to talk to a enologist now.

I found a reference to 'verjuice' in the context to pruning for vine
quality, and no reference at all to culinary verjuice. The article is
about growing wine grapes in Spain.

"Both in shoot thinning after the harvest as in summer pruning (cutting
off of undesirable verjuice bunches to avoid overcropping), he must act
so as to obtain maximum concentration in the grapes. Quality of the
berries should prevail over quantity. Lower yields lead to higher
concentration levels and vice versa." (de Serdio, Ernesto, and Andres
Vegas; "Wine the Colour of Day, the Colour of Night;" Reserva y Cata,
June 2001;
http://www.reservaycata.com/ingles/press301.htm)

This reference makes me wonder if 'verjuice bunches' has become a term
for the thinned grapes in vinticulture that as lost it's subsequent
culinary meaning. Unless they still make verjuice from this trimmings in
Spain. I've also come across a few Aussie/NZ websites that refer to
verjuice as a common condiment in regional cooking. Any comments?

--
Edouard, Sire de Bruyerecourt
bruyere at jeffnet.org