[Sca-cooks] Re: candied ginger

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 15 12:14:13 PDT 2004

Oh, heck, I'm avoiding other things I really should be doing, I can type in
the one from Joy of Cooking.
Christianna

Candied Ginger
>From "Joy of Cooking", Rombauer and Rambauer Becker, 1975 edition.
5 1/2 pints preserved
(...) This is either a single long-day or an intermittent four-day
procedure.  If you settle for one day, allow several hours between each of
the four cookings. (...)
Scrape and cut into 1/4 inch slices enough fresh fibrous young:

Gingerroot

to make 1 quart.  Put the slices into a large stainless steel pan and cover
generously with:

Water

Bring water slowly to a boil and simmer covered until tender, about 20
minutes.  Add:

1 cup sugar

and stir until mixture boils.  Remove from heat.  Cover and let stand
overnight at room temperature.  Recook, simmering gently for about 15
mintues after the ginger has again come to a boil.  Add:

1 seeded sliced lemon
1 cup light corn syrup

Uncover and simmer 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.  Remove from
heat and let stand covered overnight.  During the third cooking, the ginger
must be stirred often to avoid scorching.  Birng the syruped ginger to a
boil.  Stir in:

1 cup sugar

Simmer 30 minutes.  Stir in:

1 cup sugar

and bring mixture again to a boil.  Remove from heat. Cover and let stand
overnight.
In the fourth cooking, bring the mixture to a boil once more. When the syrup
drops heavily from the side of a spoon, 833*, and the ginger is translucent,
pour the mixture into sterile wide-mouthed jars.  Seal, 805*.  You should
now have about 5 cups of Canton Ginger.  Should you want Candied Ginger,
drain the ginger after the last cooking.  Reserve the syrup for flavoring
sauces.  Dry the ginger slices on a rack over a tray, uncovered, overnight.
When well dried, roll the slices in:

Granulated sugar

Store in tightly covered glass jars.

*Refers to pages in the book where these topics are discussed.