[Sca-cooks] Laurel Vs. Pelican

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Sat Apr 17 12:52:46 PDT 2004

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig!

>I've been giving this whole Laurel thing some thought, and it seems to
>me that service is a large part of it. You need to be willing to teach,
>and serve and so forth. So then, what is the difference between a
>Pelican and a Laurel?

To some extent, all of the peerage orders are supposed to render service
to the crown. The knights are even supposed to swear fealty to the crown
on a regular basis. The basic notion of service for the pelican is different.
Pelicans hold offices, perform administrative tasks, and generally make things
happen for other people in the Society. If you are a herculian head cook who
regularly cooks for large events, then you should be considered for a Pelican.
If you are the translator of German cookbooks, if your forte is redacting
recepies from original sources, &c. then you should be considered for a
Laurel. All peers are expected to train others. Knights and Masters are
supposed to have squires. Pelicans are supposed to have protoges. Laurels
are supposed to have apprentices. Consequently. Members of all three orders
are supposed to excell in something, render service to the crown, and teach
others. The thing which distinguishes the orders is what their members
excell at.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |