[Sca-cooks] Laurel Vs. Pelican

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Sat Apr 17 13:14:32 PDT 2004

Noble Cousin!

Greetings from Solveig!

>Ok, now I have heard rumors about a secret list kept of people who may
>make good Laurels and Pelicans. Can anyone nominate someone to be a
>Pelican or Laurel? Or for someone to be put on the watch list?

In principle, anyone can nominate anyone for any award or honour in the
Society. You do this by writing a convincing letter to the Prince and
Princess. If you want someone to be considered for a Laurel, be sure
that you emphasize their contributions to knowledge of period and whatever
skills they have achieved in premodern art forms. Many people who write
recommendations get very enthused about how wonderful someone is and how
much service they have given. While these are important for the Laurel, be
sure that you make it very clear that the person in question is or is
becoming a legitimate authority in some art form or body of knowledge.

The politics of who is seriously considered for any particular award varies
by kingdom and changes with the coronation of each royal couple. Unless you
are a major political force in your kingdom, you have very little influence
on these aspects of who receives an award. First and foremost you need to
write a good recommendation letter. You can also try to help people be
recognized. In the context of cookery, this means cooking major events and
participating in scholae of various sort. You can also encourage your
friend to enter pentathelons and exhibitions which accept culinary entries.
Finally, there are a few high-profile "pot lucks" around. These are often
orchestrated by cookery Laurels. There is at least one of these at Pennsic.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |