[Sca-cooks] New World Foods in the Old World

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Apr 19 21:25:00 PDT 2004

> I'm wondering what other people on this list know, not just whether
> the plant or food item was known, but whether it was eaten with some
> frequency, and just how eager Europeans were in the 16th century to
> eat tomatoes, potatoes, maize, etc. - especially those who hadn't
> actually seen the "natives" eat - and further how eager were they to
> serve them at European feasts.

Maize appears to have spread relatively rapidly to the point of causing nutritional deficiencies
in European populations by the early 1700s. I believe 6,000 Years of Bread talks about this.

_Charleston Kedding: A History of Kitchen Gardening_ talks about the difficulties of growing
tomatoes in England...

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"What place provides an endless number of resources and information at
your fingertips no matter your age, income or background. How about your
library? That's right. Your library has books, videos, magazines,
computers, online access, special collections and more all for the asking.
There's something for everyone @ your library." - ALA.org