[Sca-cooks] Windsor Border Crossing

Martha Carey Oser osermart at msu.edu
Tue Apr 20 10:55:26 PDT 2004

Having just been to Windsor, I can say...

Crossings vary.  We had one guy on the Canadian side who didn't stop chewing
his fingernail or looking at his magazine the whole time we were dealing
with him.  Coming back, the guy on the American side wanted to know where my
husband had been (Toronto) and for how long and what for.

My folks had a bad run-in with a person (forget which side) a few weeks ago.
They tried to give him their driver's licenses when he asked for i.d. and he
very snappishly told them that those were useless and he needed some "valid"
i.d.  So they tried to give him their birth certificates (they don't have
passports) and, of course, those were useless too since they don't have
pictures!  Of course, they ended up being pulled aside and getting the car
searched and all, but it ended up being not such a big deal.

Anyway, the two times we went back and forth to drop/pick up my hubby at the
train station last week were uneventful.  Nobody even asked to see our i.d.
Be polite, don't look like you're hiding anyone in the trunk and all should
be fine.  I would recommend bringing a passport if you have one, or your
driver's licens and birth certificate otherwise.

 -Martha