[Sca-cooks] Windsor border crossing

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 06:08:30 PDT 2004

The other Olwen Barony of Sternfeld, Midrealm
wrote:
How are the crossings at Windsor these days ? We haven't been over the river
since summer of 2000. I'd like to get some good hard cider again.

The windsor border crossings are variable.  The biggest issue can be the traffic, if it is a busy day expect it to take up to an hour for you to cross the border from the Canada to the US side, I have never spent more than 20 minutes going in the other direction.  On quiet days however, I have left Canada and driven off the bridge into the US in under 10 minutes.  So it really depends on traffic.

To speed things up it helps if you have the right forms of ID.  For a US citizen you must have some proof of citizenship in addition to a photo ID. This can include voter registration card, birth certificate, military service ID, drivers licence.  However, saying this we have got friends in and out with only a drivers licence, although I do not recommend this action.  For non US citizens make sure you have a passport with a valid visa.

Go, visit Canada, they are fine people, there is wonderful beer available at the "Beer Store", and there are some great wineries only 40 minutes from Windsor along the Lake Eire shoreline, including my favorite Pelee Island Winery.   (http://www.peleeisland.com)  Which sells some fantastic wines and does tours at their Kingsville winery location.

Helewyse, advocate for nothern travel.