[Sca-cooks] "Edible" Cinnamon Sticks

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 29 03:48:17 PDT 2004

Also sprach Robert Downie:
>I used the gelatine recipe exclusively for all the sugar paste items in my
>illusion feast.  Once you let it dry _thoroughly_, it seems just as strong as
>the result you get from using the ready to mix powder gum paste. I'm not sure
>how the two items differ chemically.
>
>The only thing I haven't tested yet is how it holds water.  In
>period, you could
>furnish a table with drinking vessels made from the stuff, and they could hold
>cold beverages for a couple of hours before they started to soften again.  I
>stll want to do that someday, it would be really cool as long as my cheater
>sugar paste didn't start oozing all over the table...I'm melting, melting, oh
>what a world...
>
>Has anyone already experimented with this?
>
>Faerisa

I have not (I wanted to get that caveat out of the way first).
However, it occurs to me that if you wanted to waterproof cups, the
thing to do might be to be sure to use sugar pounded as finely as
humanly possible, with a view to getting as smooth a surface as
possible to the worked piece, and then, when dry, lightly oiling the
inner surface with something that's not likely to send your intended
recipient into anaphylactic shock. Whatever that may be.

This is basically the same technology that used to turn plaster into
window putty. You'd have to wipe away (and obviously, very carefully)
as much of the oil as possible (maybe a large wad of cotton on a
stick?), but a very thin, almost invisible film should not lead to
pooling in the liquid in the cup, or weird floating films of oil, and
should protect the piece pretty well from moisture. Whether this was
done in period, I don't know, but it's possible a little oil
sometimes ended up in the finished piece if it was worked on an oiled
board, too.

Adamantius