[Sca-cooks] Pear Mustard?

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Apr 30 09:03:44 PDT 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> >If anyone has it, PLEASE e-mail me privately, as i get the Digest of
> >this list and i probably won't see your response until Sunday night
> >when i get back from Beltane.
>
> I think this is it... From Sabina Welserin, via Cariadoc's website...
>

> 34 To make the mustard for dried cod
>
>   Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves and
> put sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it as thick
> as you prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard.
>
> HTH,
>
> Adamantius

If my redaction will help (and you can't find pear preserves, which I
haven't found yet), quarter and core 4-5 pears, parboil them to just tender,
then throw them in the blender with a dab of cinnamon and the white wine.
and an entire (small, supermarket size, not a honking great food services
size) can/jar of mustard. It really should sit in the fridge about a week,
to mellow the flavors, although it's OK in a day or two- just a bit harsh.

I added the cinnamon because all the recipes found for pear preserves had
cinnamon in them, and it really did do a nice job of brightening up the
flavor, and I never added sugar because the pears I had were so sweet. If I
were to add sugar, though, I think I'd do it as a syrup, to thicken the
texture just a bit and make it a bit more like normal preserves.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.