[Sca-cooks] Re: black broth

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 10:57:44 PDT 2004

Message: 9
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 16:57:37 +0000
From: nickiandme at att.net
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Cooking with blood?
To: sca-cooks at ansteorra.org (Group-SCACooks),
        CalontirCooksGuild at yahoogroups.com (Group-CCooks)

This question was posted on the A&S list - I am reposting to the Calontir Cook's
list and the SCA-cook's list for help for her.  I personally haven't done much cooking
with blood - I have a strong modern cultural bias against it. Who knew?
Anyway - searching for help on this one.
Kateryn de Develyn
nickiandme at att.net

I am curious as to how to cook with blood. I am researching a Greek dish called
melas zomos, black broth also known as blood soup. All I have been able to uncover
is the ingredients, pork cooked in it's own blood and seasoned with salt and vinegar.
What precautions do I need to take, in what proportions to I mix the ingredients,
and is there any ingredients that seem to be missing? Any leads into this mystery
will be helpful.

Nakos
 "kaythiarain" <kaythiarain at yahoo.com>

And I thought I was nuts to want to recreate Florence's cibreo!

At least cibreo has been a celebrated dish (Caterina de' Medici adored it). The joke about melas zomos in ancient times was that the Spartans would rather die than endure a lifetime of eating this soup. It must taste pretty damn bad; peasants are too practical to give up something nutritious. I can find several recipes for cibreo, but no one has bothered to even try to preserve at least a variation of melas zomos.

Gianotta