[Sca-cooks] Cooking with blood?

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Mon Aug 9 11:41:40 PDT 2004

My father and my grandmother used to make a Polish blood soup. It
was made with either chicken or duck blood. I wish I'd paid more
attention to how they did it. I just know that it was important
that the blood be as fresh as possible. My main memory of it was
my father cutting off the heads of the chickens (and maybe a duck)
and watching them run around headless while I screamed. I had to
opportunity to try it again as an adult on a visit to Poland and
didn't like it then either. I remember the soup being very salty
with that iron tinge and not very good. It didn't look appetizind
either with shades grey to black mixed with noodles. I'd ask them,
but they both died last year and I guess the family recipe went
with them...but I honestly don't think THAT recipe was a big loss.

I don't know if that would help with your greek blood soup recipe
or not...maybe you can contact a butcher to get the pork blood.

Ysabeau