[Sca-cooks] OT - recipe help

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 10:03:15 PDT 2004

>  I'm looking for a recipe for a friend, and I'm having zero luck online.
>  The name of the dish is wurgels (pronounced vur-guls or wur-guls,
>  depending on who's talking).  It's a doughy Pennsylvania Dutch recipe,
>  probably from the Lehigh Valley/Allentown area.  Unfortunately I don't
>  have a more specific description of the dish (I'm working on that) - I'm
>  hoping someone might recognize it by name alone.

Well, i asked a German friend - who's in the SCA
and a cook and used to be on this list - and he
said:

----- Begin Quote -----

Hmmm... sounds awfully south German (up north where I
live, the word 'würgen' which sounds awfully similar,
is understood to mean 'retch', which makes it a bad
name for food...)

The closest thing I can find right now is 'Wuchteln',
an Austrian/Bavarian dish made from rich eggy yeast
dough dipped in melted butter and baked. Is that at
all plausible?

Giano

----- End Quote -----

I will add that the "r" sound may be an addition,
making up for an o-umlaut or u-umlaut sound that
we don't have in English - as in, uh, Goebbels or
Goethe - which i've heard pronounced by Americans
as (hard G) Ger-bulls or Ger-tuh.

Anahita