[Sca-cooks] froggie cuisine

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 12:08:43 PDT 2004

Also sprach Pixel, Goddess and Queen:
>In my quest for fermented black beans with which to make X in black bean
>sauce, I discovered that one of my local oriental markets* has frogs in
>their freezer--whole frogs. Labelled "FROG". Does one cook a whole frog in
>any Asian cuisine, or does one remove the meaty bits, or what? I've seen
>frog's *legs* at the expensive groceries, but this is definitely an entire
>froggy, on a foam tray wrapped in plastic.
>
>*and they are all three of them titled "[name] Oriental Market"
>
>Margaret, who still has tendonitis and is going out of her mind with
>boredom...

I'm told that there are recipes for frog casserole in various Chinese
regional cuisines (probably someplace Southern) which call for the
whole (or nearly whole) frog. Maybe "entire" is the better word; I
believe they get cut up like a chicken or rabbit. (A casserole, to
most Chinese people, is more of a hot-pot, cooked in a sealed clay
pot which can be cooked over a flame or coals, or placed inside a
steamer, and, as far as I know, never calls for Lutheran Binder.)

I vaguely recall a Filipino recipe for stuffed frogs in Schwabe's
"Unmentionable Cuisine".

However, I've never seen frogs in any Asian restaurant (bearing in
mind, of course, that I don't live in Asia) except in the form of
legs.

Adamantius, whose otherwise much-beloved lady wife saw fit to make
fowl-and-frog-leg soup over the weekend, allegedly for medicinal
purposes

Holt, 07/29/04